VILLAGE GREEN & GAZEBO PLAQUE:
First conceived in 1949, the Dickinson Garden Club adopted the triangle of land on Highway 3 and 46th Street and St. Goar for a beautification project. On May 10, 1951 a plaque, bench and live oak tree were dedicated as a memorial to eight Dickinson servicemen who lost their lives in WW II. During the passing years, the VFW Post 6378, Dickinson, donated flags to fly above the Village Green to commemorate Veterans Day and Guardian School students were responsible for raising and lowering the flags daily. Recently, Boy Scout Troop ____in Dickinson devised, constructed and installed the small stone monuments commemorating the Branches of Service.
When the state built the new Highway 3 bridge in 1981, and Dickinson incorporated as a Village, citizens, members of the Weed ‘N Wish Garden Cub (successor to the Dickinson Garden Club), and City Aldermen, resolved to ask Galveston Cunty Commissioners Court to present the property to the city :as a gift from Galveston County to the people of the Village of Dickinson to be used and maintained forever as a Village Green, and a place to perpetually commemorate its citizens who have served their nation in times of need” and early in 1982 the county donated the tract to Dickinson.
About the same time, the idea of the gazebo was born by members of the newly formed Parks and Green-space Committee who developed a landscaping and construction plan and to make the Village Green Gazebo project a community effort through donations of time, money and labor by citizens, City and County Governments, local builders, contractors and construction workers – and that is why Dickinson will be proud of it for years to come.
In the year 2021, after many storms, floods and ravages of Mother Nature, the Dickinson Chamber of Commerce took on the Re-Build the Gazebo project with the same volunteer and community spirits that were displayed in 1949 and 1985.
A closing quote from the first dedication ceremony sums up the spirit of Dickinson, even to this day of re-dedication – Saturday, December 4, 2021 –
“The Saturday ceremony was a shining example of small-town America at its best and was a reminder that the spirit and determination that built the small towns across the nation are alive and well in Dickinson. – November 16, 1985”